What Are the Most Common Causes of Indoor Flooding?
Understanding the Reasons for Most Indoor Flooding in Frederick Can Help Prevent Them from Happening
Indoor flooding is a significant cause of water damage in Frederick homes. It can create all kinds of problems and require expert help to restore your home. Many times, the flooding can be prevented if you know what to look for in the house.
What are some of the common causes I should be aware of?
Your home is an intricate layout which consists of all kinds of pipes and sources of flowing water. You wash your hands, run the dishwasher, and do laundry. The septic system (or city sewage), the water heater, and some furnaces all require water flow. This can be a disaster waiting to happen. Here are four of the most common reasons for water restoration needs in Frederick.
- Broken or leaking pipes – can flood your home in minutes and can cause hidden damage behind walls.
- Leaking water heater – even a small leak can cause a steady flow of water loss leading to big problems.
- Faulty appliances – dishwashers, washing machines, refrigerators all have plumping connections. When these go bad – watch out!
- Clogged sewage/drain lines – back up from toilet lines is the primary source of this problem. This may be a biohazard situation requiring special handling.
Preventing Indoor Flooding
You cannot always prevent your home from being flooded, but there are things you can do to minimize the water damage.
- Check pipes regularly. In cold weather, take steps to prevent them from freezing--interior temperature increase and insulating exposed pipes.
- Prevent clogged drains. Hair is a significant cause of clogging in bathrooms. Watch what goes into the sinks, tubs, and toilets.
- Check appliances for problems regularly. Consider attaching a device that detects leaks.
- Regularly inspect your water heater.
If you do end up with damage from flooding, SERVPRO’s team of experts provides 24/7 emergency water restoration service. Prevention is the best option, but not always possible. Don’t let any water loss incidence wait.
Contact SERVPRO of Frederick County at (301) 662-1747 for quality water cleanup and restoration -- We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.